Just like regular medical check-ups, dental check-ups are essential for your overall health.
Visiting the dentist’s office twice a year may not be an anticipated event, but it is one that you need in order to maintain your current health intact or to prevent your current health problem from further progressing.
You might not be aware that issues with your oral health could affect your overall health, but it does. In fact, many people with current medical conditions like Diabetes will suffer further damage if they have an unhealthy mouth.
It is important that you consider all of the risks involved with skipping a dental appointment. Here are six factors to consider:
- Diagnosing oral cancer: There are various ways that oral cancer can present itself. Oral cancer can quickly progress to a life-threatening situation if it is not treated early on. If you receive treatment at its early stage, oral cancer is often highly treatable. For this reason, it is important to regularly visit the dentist because they could be able to diagnose cancer early on and provide you with a form of treatment.
- Preventing tartar, plaque, and cavities: Even if you are flossing and brushing on a daily basis, there may be some spots in your mouth that you miss. You may not even notice any signs of cavities until it has already decayed. A dentist could spot these irregularities before they advance any further.
- Averting gum disease: Not only can you acquire cavities, but tartar and plaque that builds up can lead to gum disease. Gum disease could lead to more severe medical conditions. Not only could gum disease be prevented, but if you already have a gum disease, an expert dentist could treat it.
- Learning of the bad habits: There are many bad habits that you may be doing in your daily life that can negatively impact the health of your mouth. You might not be aware of these bad habits, and if you are, a dentist can help control the effects of those bad habits. Some of those habits include: smoking, biting your nails, eating certain sweets, coffee, and even chewing ice.
- Receiving X-ray examinations: Everything may appear fine to you on the surface, but without an x-ray, you will not be able to see what is going on underneath your gums and jaw bone. Visiting the dentist regularly can provide you with a sense of relief to know that everything is fine underneath through the use of an X-ray examination.
- Referring to specialists: In addition to checking your oral health, a dentist will also check on others parts of your body like your neck’s lymph nodes, jaw, and other areas beneath your jawline. If they find any abnormalities, they will refer you to the appropriate specialist to quickly address the issue.
Make the effort and get yourself checked. A dentist is not only concerned with making your teeth look nice, but they are also worried about your overall health.
New Image Dental office is located in Inglewood near the Los Angeles Airport. We offer many new dental patients specials. Get our free Dental Implants guide here and Call our office today for a dental appointment.