Permanent Dentures vs Dental Implants
by Dentist Inglewood
When it comes to restoring missing teeth, two of the most popular options at New Image Dental in Inglewood are dental implants and permanent dentures. While both options can provide a long-term solution for missing teeth, there are some key differences between the two.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits and drawbacks of each option, and help you determine which one might be right for you.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that are placed into the jawbone. The implants are typically made of titanium and are designed to fuse with the bone over time. Once the implants have fused with the bone, a crown or bridge can be attached to the top of the implant, creating a natural-looking replacement for a missing tooth.
Benefits of dental implants
- Long-lasting: Dental implants are designed to last for many years, and with proper care, can often last a lifetime.
- Natural-looking: Because dental implants are designed to look and feel like natural teeth, they can provide a more aesthetically pleasing option for tooth replacement.
- Strong and durable: Dental implants are very strong and durable, and can often withstand the forces of biting and chewing just like natural teeth.
Drawbacks of dental implants
- Cost: Dental implants can be more expensive than other tooth replacement options, particularly if multiple implants are needed.
- Time-consuming: The process of getting dental implants can be lengthy, and typically involves several appointments over the course of several months.
- Surgery: Because dental implants involve placing a metal post into the jawbone, they do require surgery, which can be a drawback for some people.
What are permanent dentures?
Permanent dentures, also known as implant-supported dentures or all-on-four dentures, are a type of denture that is supported by dental implants. Unlike traditional dentures, which rely on suction or adhesive to stay in place, permanent dentures are anchored to the jawbone with the help of dental implants.
Benefits of permanent dentures
- Natural-looking: Like dental implants, permanent dentures are designed to look and feel like natural teeth.
- Improved stability: Because permanent dentures are anchored to the jawbone with dental implants, they are more stable than traditional dentures, and are less likely to slip or move around in the mouth.
- Less invasive: While permanent dentures do require surgery to place the dental implants, they typically involve less surgery than getting multiple dental implants.
Drawbacks of permanent dentures
- Cost: Like dental implants, permanent dentures can be more expensive than traditional dentures.
- Maintenance: While permanent dentures can provide a long-term solution for missing teeth, they do require regular maintenance to keep them clean and functioning properly.
- Not suitable for everyone: Because permanent dentures require a certain amount of jawbone density to support dental implants, they may not be suitable for everyone.
Which option is right for you?
Ultimately, the decision between dental implants and permanent dentures will depend on your individual needs, health, and preferences. While dental implants can provide a long-lasting and natural-looking option for missing teeth, they may not be suitable for everyone due to the cost and time commitment involved.
On the other hand, permanent dentures can provide a more stable and less invasive option, but may also come with a higher cost and ongoing maintenance requirements.
If you’re considering dental implants or permanent dentures, it’s important to talk to your dentist about your options and to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each option carefully.
With the right information and guidance from New Image Dental in Inglewood, you can make an informed decision about which tooth replacement option is best for you.
Our dental office and our staff are well aware of the fact that many people feel anxious and intimidated about visiting the dentist. For some, the thought of sitting in the dental chair and having a procedure performed can be overwhelming. That’s why our dental practice in Inglewood takes great care to create a warm and welcoming environment for all our patients.
Our team is dedicated to ensuring that every patient feels comfortable and at ease throughout their visit. We take the time to listen to our patients and understand their concerns, and we work to create a personalized treatment plan that meets their unique needs. We use the latest technology and techniques to provide the most effective and comfortable dental care possible.
Whether you’re coming in for a routine dental exam or a more complex procedure, we want you to feel confident in your care and confident in your smile.
Our team is committed to making your visit as comfortable and stress-free as possible, and we are always here to answer any questions or address any concerns you may have.